Thursday, November 8, 2007

1st Post, Fall Food

Hey all this my first post, I plan to have a site in the future. I have this blog so I can perhaps help ppl with recipes or any food problems they seem to have. Well I'd like to start off with a fall recipe. This one actually comes from my mother-in-laws collection. She makes this every Thanksgiving. My husband loves it and I have been making it every Thanksgiving for the past 8 years of our marriage, he loves it and wants no other sweet potatoes for Turkey day!

Fall Apple Candied Yams
  • 4-5 cooked yams
  • 4 large apples (Granny Smiths or other tart apples)
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar (you can you dark brown for more of a molasses taste)
  • 1 cup margarine or butter, melted PLUS 2 Tbs.
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts

1. Core and peel apples, cut them into moons. In a large saucepan use saute apples with 2 Tbs. margarine or butter until slightly transparent.

2. Cut cooked yams into equal sized moons and alternate with the apples in a greased 13"X9" pan.

3. To 1/2 cup of the melted margarine or butter add brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

4. Pour mixture over the yams and apples.

5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

6. With remaining 1/2 cup melted butter pour over yam and apples top with the walnuts and bake an additional 20 minutes.

ENJOY!

Hints:

- If you don't like walnuts you can use whatever nut you like, pecans are very good with this too!

- You can sprinkle on the brown sugar after you add the melted margarine or butter for a nice crust on the yams and apples.


I love this recipe and I hope that you all like it just as much!

No comments: